Sunday 13 September 2015

Baking With Apples: Apple Crumble Cake

Yes, I know I’ve been slacking with these weekly posts, however, I do have another baking with apples recipe to share with you which I came up with by the inspiration of a recipe I found on pinterest. To start with you need to gather your ingredients together.
For the cake I used…
75 g Butter
225g Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
50g Caster Sugar
500g Apples
1 Medium Egg
1-2 tbsp Milk
Cinnamon
For the crumble I used…
50g Plain Flour
25g Butter
10g Brown or Normal Granulated Sugar

Before I began making the crumble cake, I preheated the oven to gas mark 6 and lined a round cake tin with baking paper and butter.
After weighing out the apples I began the lengthy task of peeling and chopping them into smallish chunks. Which I placed in a bath of water in a saucepan whilst going along.
Once the apples were all prepared I went ahead and seive the already weighed out plain flour and baking powder into a glass mixing bowl.
To make the butter easier to rub in, I cut it into chunks before placing it in the bowl with the flour.
I then used my finger tips to combine the three ingredients together to form bread crumbs.
To add some ‘autumnal’ flavour to the mixture, I added a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Along with the cinnamon I added the fifty grams of caster sugar and combined it with the mixture.
Finally I drained the apples and tipped them into the mixture which I then stirred around until all the apples were coated by the batter.
 
The mixture may seem a bit dry at this point which is why I added the two tablespoons of milk to loosen it up.
Since the mixture is complete, I went ahead and placed it in the lined cake tin.
You may be wondering why it doesn't look like a crumble yet. However, this next step makes the crumble cake complete.

With the flour, butter and sugar needed for the crumble, I put them all together in a bowl and formed breadcrumbs by using my fingertips.
Once the breadcrumbs had formed, I sprinkled them over the top of the cake and placed it in the oven.
You’ll know that the crumble cake is done when the crumble on top had turned golden brown, the cake has risen and when you poke a sharp knife or toothpick into it, it will come out clean.
I hope you enjoyed this post and be sure to stick around for my next one! :) 

Becky x

My latest holiday vlogs: 


No comments:

Post a Comment